Friday, January 16, 2009

Playing Catch Up

So I started this year really excited and ready to write down my goals and commit them to the Lord. Can I be honest with you and say that I have yet to do that! Yes, I have prayed about them and feel God's direction, but I haven't written them down and prayed over them. It seems that it takes a week to recover from the holiday craziness, especially since we went out of town on New Year's Day. Then we had things going on the following weekend and guess what? Another full weekend coming up. In addition to all that, my whole family has been sharing symptoms of the cold, sinus or cough. I don't like seeing my babies sick. I'm not feeling well right now, but wanted to write because I was wondering if anyone out there is going through this, too?

We all have periods where we wish we could stop time and stop the world and its craziness so we can "catch up". I'm there right now. There are so many things I want to get done at home and ministry wise, but somehow I have to slow down and be content to "do what I can."

Yesterday, my sister called me as she was looking for certain scriptures in the bible and was wondering if I knew where they were. As we talked, she shared with me how she had been seeking God lately and how refreshed she felt despite of having to deal with some issues herself (she had a horrible fall last week not to mention some other things going on). I was so blessed by our conversation and felt the Lord reminding me of how precious our time with Him really is.

I realized that I can stop time and stop the world and its craziness when I stop to spend quality time with my heavenly Father. As I catch up with Him, He then helps me to catch up with life. I'm sure you know this as do I, but sometimes it's nice to be reminded, especially when He uses those around us we love most to gently nudge us toward Him.

I don't know where you are spiritually, physically or emotionally. Maybe you're being worn down by other things besides sickness, but know that Jesus is asking:

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." Matthew 11:28-30 (Message)

Now, that's how I want to live...freely and lightly! I think it's time I stop trying to play "catch up" with life and simply catch up with God. Sounds like a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment