Monday, December 29, 2008

In the Midst of Tragedy

I just found out yesterday that one of my cousins was found dead yesterday morning. It seems like a homicide. It's so tragic. My heart broke. I felt an overwhelming sadness come over me that I had trouble sleeping last night. She was 29 years old and had suffered so much in her young life. She had three children (who are with her ex-husband) and struggled with drug addiction. A little over five years ago, I distinctly remember her crying at my parent's house (when my dad held worship services there) because she had given her life to Christ. She tried to stay away from the drugs, but her foundation wasn't strong enough to keep her from going back. Even so, she often told her mom that she would tell her friends about Jesus. My hope and prayer is that her tragic death will not be in vain, but that her friends and our family will turn to God even more.

My heart goes out to my aunt who has endured alot herself and now this. I can't imagine what she is feeling right now. The only thing that brings me comfort is the Holy Spirit...our Comforter. He not only rejoices when we rejoice, but He hurts when we hurt and He cries when we cry.

I am reminded by God's word that we serve a God who is able to relate to us no matter what situation we face. God knows exactly how my aunt feels and only He can truly comfort her. For God's own son was not spared. Jesus Himself came so that He could walk the path we walk and experience this life as we do...the good, the bad and the ugly. Scripture tells us in Hebrews 2:17-18: Therefore, it was necessary for him to be made in every respect like us, his brothers and sisters, so that he could be our merciful and faithful High Priest before God. Then he could offer a sacrifice that would take away the sins of the people. Since he himself has gone through suffering and testing, he is able to help us when we are being tested.

Jesus is our high priest. He understands. He is faithful and merciful. He is able to take away our sins. He is able to help. So in the midst of tragedy, I am thankful to our God that He is here for us and our loved ones and He is able to comfort as ONLY He can.

I appreciate your prayers for my family.

2 comments:

  1. Rochelle, I am praying for your family. Hallelujah we have the Holy Spirit, our Comforter and Friend. Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rochelle, I'm so sad to hear about such a tragedy. I'm praying for you, the family and her friends. I pray too that her life will testify of HIS goodness to the friends and family who remember her and they will turn to Jesus.
    Much love in Chriat

    ReplyDelete