Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Praying in the Dark

The Christmas season is my favorite time of the year, but for some of us (including me at times!), it can be the most difficult time of the year. Whatever you're facing today, I pray this devotional will remind you that you are NOT alone and that He is your light and your salvation!

Do not rejoice over me, my enemy. When I fall, I will arise; when I sit in darkness, the Lord will be a light to me. Micah 7:8 (NKJV)

One morning I headed to my usual “quiet place” to meet with God which happens to be a certain chair in my living room. It’s normally dark as it’s early in the morning before the sun or my family wakes up. As I turned on the lamp next to my chair, I noticed someone sleeping on the sofa. No, it was not my husband! It was our 5 year old son. At some point during the night he had brought his blankie, pillow and batman with him to the sofa and had even moved the cat’s bed next to him. I knew I couldn’t leave the light on so I proceeded to “pray in the dark.” I found that morning particularly special because I was able to see my adorable son sleeping before me during my time with God. I must admit that I probably prayed a little longer and stronger for my family that morning. It was hard not to! As I got up from my prayer time, I noticed the sun was shining.

Sometimes, even in the midst of us seeking God, we feel that we are “in the dark.” It’s not a matter of “if” but “when” we feel that way. We all do at times. Whether that darkness represents a certain situation brought upon choices made by you or others, a relationship that is difficult, or when facing the unknown or something new, we can feel lost in the dark. Know that God knows where you are and He hears EVERY word you pray. Keep seeking Him and be thankful for what is before you (even the not so good stuff!) that will cause you to pray a little longer and stronger. Seeing my son laying there before me caused more fervency in my prayer time. While in the darkness, Child of God, pray with fervency because the Son of God is fixing to shine upon you! Believe it. The darkness cannot prevail in your life. You are a child of the Light. God is faithful to pick you up, dust you off and let His glory shine upon you and your circumstances. Be encouraged and just keep on...praying in the dark!

Meditation for the Week: I am a child of the Light and darkness CANNOT prevail in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment