Thursday, April 2, 2009

Benefits of Good Friends

As I shared in my previous blog, I recently celebrated my birthday. It was great. Even though I had to work during the day, our evening was wonderful.

After dropping off the kiddos with grandma and grandpa, James and I met some friends for dinner . We enjoyed some tasty wings in a variety of flavors including the super hot ones! After that, I was treated to a piece of rich chocolate cake with a scoop of yummy vanilla ice cream. Don't worry, I shared the calories, I mean my cake.:) Afterwards, we headed off to a coffee shop and hung out while I enjoyed a delicous latte. Yes, I probably gained about 10 pounds that night, but that was alright. To finish out my night, we attended our church's worship night which ended at midnight. It was the icing on the cake to spend time in my heavenly Father's arms as my birthday came to an end.

What I cherished most (besides ending my night in worship!) was the sweet fellowship and warmth of being around some of our closest friends. Being around our dear friends was like breath of fresh air. Knowing that you can be yourself with a group of people that will not judge you, but love you truthfully and openly, and sincerely listen to you is priceless. Due to our busy schedules, we don't usually get to hang out very much, but I know they are there for James and I as we are there for them.

I also have some close girlfriends that I know I can call upon at any time, day or night, with any problem or even a praise, for whom I am grateful for. God created us to be connected to others. I hope that you have a circle of friends that you connect with on a regular basis. Perhaps, you don't have a group of friends quite like that. I encourage you to find them!

Ecclesiastes 4:12 says, "Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." Friendships are especially strong when they are Christ centered.

Here are few tips to help you find godly friendships:

(1) Go to church regularly. A family of faith is essential to spiritual and relational growth.

(2) Participate in bible study groups. Small groups are a great way to build personal relationships and promote spiritual growth, too.

(3) Participate in volunteer work either at church or community organizations. You'll often find individuals who are passionate about something that you may be passionate about which may spark a special friendship.

Lastly, maybe God is calling YOU to be a good friend. So many times, we tend to be takers, but God wants us to be givers, too. Examine your relationships and ask God to help you be a good friend to those around you. You'll be amazed at how precious you may become to someone who needs a breath of fresh air in their life!

If you have some dear friends, share a praise for them on this blog!

Thankful,
Rochelle

No comments:

Post a Comment