Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Bully of Stress

Lately it seems that stress has become a person that follows me around everywhere I go, lurking behind every corner and staring at me with a snickering smile like a bully that's ready to pound on me. Why do I say that? Well, have you ever had days of overload at work and more things to do than you have time in the day for? A list of "gotta get done" stuff that keeps piling up? Ever been there? Some of you might be thinking, "When am I NOT there?!" It's just like that insurance commercial with the big red spot, "I'm there!"

I have found a way to beat the bully of stress if I only choose to do so. Simply said, it's prayer. Yes, seriously! My prayer times with God lately provide not only a time of fellowship between the Father and I, but a time of release and restoration. I encourage you to go to Him open hearted and open armed and "cast your cares upon Him for He cares for you." (I Peter 5:7)

In James 4:7-10 (Message) we are reminded:

So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he'll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; it's the only way you'll get on your feet.

I love that verse. In those moments in His presence, tears can be shed, stress can be relieved, faith can be lifted and joy can be restored. The bully of stress has to scamper! Prayer truly is a wonderful source of life and peace when stress is wanting to bully us around. Don't succomb to the stress (a/k/a the "joysuckers") in your life.

So stand up to the bully of stress today by getting on your knees before our Heavenly Father. Choose to put on a smile every day and speak God's word over yourself and your circumstances. EVERYTHING is subject to change and with diligent faith in action, they do. Sometimes, it is us who change and that is good, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment